Spring Valley Stomps Boyd County On Senior Night

Payton Caldwell, Sports Editor

(Courtesy of Twitter.com)

When asked about her time as a Spring Valley softball player, Senior Haley Caldwell only had two words to sum it up: “pretty amazing.” Caldwell’s record as an individual member of the Lady Wolves speaks for itself, after hitting continuous home-runs, and being an exceptional fielder throughout her four year career. Alongside her making their final appearances this season in a Wolves uniform are catcher Jessica Crislip and outfielder Kerrington Shirkey. While the trio has had many memorable performances together, a decisive win on senior night over an aggressive Boyd County Lady Lions squad was exactly what they had in mind. Caldwell and Crislip each had 2 hits, and Shirkey went 1-3 batting. Together they only made 2 errors in the field. Junior pitcher Bailey Adkins pitched a five-hit shutout that gave the Lady Wolves momentum. First baseman Cameron Ferguson punched in 2 hits and an RBI, along with Freshman Jewell Williamson. Ashton Rankin had two hits for Boyd County. Pitcher Haley Haney struggled throughout the night, giving up multiple hits to the Spring Valley batters, and could not seem to find a rhythm. Following this game, the Lions will take on a hungry Ashland Blazer team that is looking to seek revenge against their arch-rival. They also will matchup against East Carter, a team that is high among the rankings in Kentucky. Spring Valley will head into MSAC conference final games, and Sectionals as they look to wind down their busy season. Entering into the sectional, the Lady Wolves will more than likely have to face an aggressive Cabell Midland squad who has had multiple big wins this season, or the Huntington Highlanders who have contended against the number one Hurricane Redskins all season long. Either way, both matchups will prove to be promising with a lot of talent.  Spring Valley’s current record is 4-8.

(Courtesy of Clipartix.com)